At Higginbotham, we embrace our responsibility to support the communities we serve. Beyond contributions as a local business and employer, we strive to be a positive corporate citizen through active involvement in a number of charitable organizations.
In 2011 we started the Higginbotham Community Fund with a mission to engage employees in philanthropy. To date, our employees have pledged more than $1 million to the fund and contributed countless hours to community development. And with locations across Texas, the impact of our F.O.R.C.E. is far-reaching.
This story reveals the progress we made in 2015 through employee philanthropy and the Higginbotham Community Fund.
To engage the employees of Higginbotham in philanthropy.
- To make a difference in the community by contributing time, talents and monetary resources.
- To encourage community among ourselves and those we serve.
- To promote volunteerism and effective philanthropy.
- To build a network that is a catalyst for positive change.
The Higginbotham Community Fund is administered by the North Texas Community Foundation and directed by an Advisory Board of Higginbotham employees. At the end of each quarter, the board asks employees to nominate nonprofits they support for grant consideration. The nonprofits must be 501(c)(3) organizations, and the employees must be contributors to the fund. Since based on need, charity requests are sometimes time sensitive. In those cases, the employee can request that the Advisory Board hold a special vote.
Our Impact In 2015
Our Historical Impact
Notable Fundraising Events
Raised at the Producer Awards dinner in February.
Granted to nonprofits in some of the cities that were affected most by the flood damage during May.
Raised at the Producer Retreat in September.
Our F.O.R.C.E. engages in a variety of philanthropic activities beyond monetary support. Many volunteer projects are organized on the corporate level, and even more are initiated and carried our by our employees.
Going Full F.O.R.C.E.
- Participated in the American Heart Association 5K Heart Walks across Texas
- Participated in the Beach to Bay Relay Marathon in Corpus Christi
- Participated in the Rock n' Roll Marathon in Austin benefiting the Believing 4 Bryleigh Foundation
- Hosted a holiday party for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Fort Worth
- Gave blood to Carter Blood Care
- Served dinner at Catholic Charities in Fort Worth once a week
- Provided Christmas meals, gifts and decorations for families in Corpus Christi, Odessa, Portland and San Antonio
- Participated in the Cowtown Marathon
- Hosted a holiday party for the Genesis Women's Shelter in Dallas
- Participated in the Insurance Women of the Metroplex bowling tournament in Fort Worth
- Participated in the Junior Achievement of the Chisholm Trail bowling tournament
- Delivered Meals on Wheels in Fort Worth once a week
- Collected school supplied for students and teachers in Port Arthur
- Donated more than 360 pounds of food to the Tarrant Area Food Bank
- Sponsored and built a Trinity Habitat for Humanity home
- Participated in the Triumph Over Kid Cancer Giddy Up! Race in Corpus Christi
- Collected coats and shoes for the Union Gospel Mission in Fort Worth
- Volunteered four hours each quarter with United Way in Corpus Christi
- Fundraised for Texas charities by raffling tickets to Rangers games
- Packed 75 holiday shoeboxes for the World Vision Samaritan Purse Shoebox Ministry in Arlington
When asked what makes them want to work at Higginbotham, our employees said:
"Community involvement. Family feeling."
Higginbotham "encourages us to give back to our community."
Higginbotham is a "workplace you are proud to call home away from home."
We've been honored as one of the Best Places to Work by Business Insurance and Best Companies to Work for in Texas by Texas Monthly, among other accolades for employment practices, due in large part to employees' satisfaction with our social service.
"Your generosity is providing comfort in people's darkest hours . . . Thanks to your kindness, these families will have the resources they need to re-build their lives . . . ."
- Lyddy Bullock, Director of Major Gifts for the American Red Cross North Texas Region
"The Higginbotham Community Fund has made a difference in the lives of the children living in our Emergency Shelter by showing them that they matter, they are loved, and they will experience a life free from abuse. Beyond generous financial support, every year the Higginbotham Community Fund hosts Santa Claus at our shelter along with toys, gifts, and games to bring happiness in a difficult season for our families—truly the Higginbotham Community Fund is a bright ray of light for those escaping unspeakable darkness."
- Delana Baker, Genesis Women's Shelter & Support Children's Program Director
"The Higginbotham Community Fund contributed to a much-needed extension on our Alzheimer's and dementia care facility, The House of Hope. Thank you for making it possible for older adults, who can no longer care for themselves, to receive compassionate, loving care in this beautiful new facility wing."
- Ruth Jones, Presbyterian Manor Director of Fund Development